CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
RobbieFTW
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Chris
9 posters

Is society too sue-happy?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is society too sue-happy? Empty Is society too sue-happy?

Post by Chris Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:11 am

Do you think people these days are too quick to enter into litigation with each other?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Is society too sue-happy? Empty Re: Is society too sue-happy?

Post by CeCe Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:35 am

Definitely. People sue over every little offense. It's gone beyond common sense. When someone has suffered real damage, fine. But people now just look for or even create a reason to sue. Everybody wants to win the lottery.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:38 am

Yes
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:41 am

CeCe wrote:Definitely. People sue over every little offense. It's gone beyond common sense. When someone has suffered real damage, fine. But people now just look for or even create a reason to sue. Everybody wants to win the lottery.

Agree. Someone can sue McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on themselves and win and I have 2 permanent injuries sustained from falling on the train tracks and 3 lawyers say I don't have a case, figure that one out.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 am

I cant help to think that if people weren't suing each other as much there'd be A LOT MORE fights and murders. 😆
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:30 am

Do rattlesnakes kiss carefully? I think we need less overpriced laywers and their lawsuits, and we need to be able to KO some jackasses when they deserve it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 am

As CeCe said, yes it's one thing if you've been injured, etc. through someone's negligence but to sue because your feelings are hurt or you removed a safety feature from a piece of equipment at work, cut your hand off and then sue your boss. About the only thing you should be entitled to is a lovely certificate (suitable for framing) attesting to the fact that you’re an idiot.

Robbie, I admit the same thing crossed my mind.

Tony, I’m sorry. Is that how you wound up at physical therapy?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:11 pm

alan smithee wrote:As CeCe said, yes it's one thing if you've been injured, etc. through someone's negligence but to sue because your feelings are hurt or you removed a safety feature from a piece of equipment at work, cut your hand off and then sue your boss. About the only thing you should be entitled to is a lovely certificate (suitable for framing) attesting to the fact that you’re an idiot.

Robbie, I admit the same thing crossed my mind.

Tony, I’m sorry. Is that how you wound up at physical therapy?

Yes Alan I broke my ankle, had surgery to put screws in it. I am still going to physical therapy and I have to pay a 30 dollar co-pay everytime I go. This is what makes me the most angry that I have to pay out of my pocket for an injury on the railroad property and not even get re-imbursed for it.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Definitely. People are way too sue-happy in this country. That's not to say some people don't have a case, because obviously some do, but these days, everybody thinks they have a case.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Oh, yes, it is just crazy how people jump on the litigation wagon at the drop of a hat.

Here is a story about it from here recently. My guy has plowing equipment as of last winter, and he asked a friend who manages many apt. complexes if she was in need of plowing, but she already had someone contracted, but promised to give him half the accounts this year. She did. Well the guy who still has the other half has been doing a very poor job and two tenants have fallen due to him not properly salting, and so both are suing. So, she gave all the accounts to my guy. Now that other plow guy is threatening to sue the Apt. owners too for breaking their contract! So, the are probably going to give him back his accounts for the rest of winter, to keep him out of court. Crazy.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:21 pm

I don't know if any of these are urban legends but I wouldn't be surprised if they're all true.

In September 1988, two Akron, Ohio-based carpet layers named Gordon Falker and Gregory Roach were severely burned when a three and a half gallon container of carpet adhesive ignited when the hot water heater it was sitting next to kicked on. Both men felt the warning label on the back of the can was insufficient. Words like "flammable" and "keep away from heat" didn't prepare them for the explosion. They filed suit against the adhesive manufacturers, Para-Chem. A jury obviously agreed since the men were awarded $8 million for their troubles.

In 1992, 23-year old Karen Norman accidentally backed her car into GalvestonBay after a night of drinking. Norman couldn't operate her seat belt and drowned. Her passenger managed to disengage herself and make it to shore. Norman's parents sued Honda for making a seat belt their drunken daughter (her blood alcohol level was .17 - nearly twice the legal limit) couldn't open underwater. A jury found Honda seventy-five percent responsible for Karen's death and awarded the Norman family $65 million. An appeals court threw out the case.

In May 2003, Stephen Joseph of San Francisco sued Kraft foods for putting trans-fat in their Oreo cookies. Joseph wanted an injunction to order Kraft to stop selling Oreos to children. Once the media caught wind of Joseph's lawsuit, the media blitz became too much for him to handle. He decided to drop the suit.

In 1997, Larry Harris of Illinois broke into a bar owned by Jessie Ingram. Ingram, the victim of several break-ins, had recently set a trap around his windows to deter potential burglars. Harris, 37, who was under the influence of both alcohol and drugs, must have missed the warning sign prominently displayed in the window. He set off the trap as he entered the window, electrocuting himself. The police refused to file murder charges. Harris's family saw it differently, however, and filed a civil suit against Ingram. A jury originally awarded the Harris family $150,000. Later, the award was reduced to $75,000 when it was decided Harris should share at least half of the blame.

In 1991, Richard Harris sued Anheiser-Busch for $10,000 for false advertising. Harris (no relation to the above-mentioned burglar) claimed to suffer from emotional distress in addition to mental and physical injury. Why? Because when he drank beer, he didn't have any luck with the ladies, as promised in the TV ads. Harris also didn't like that he got sick sometimes after he drank. The case was thrown out of court.

In 1998, Kellogg sued Exxon because customers might confuse the gas station's "whimsical tiger logo" with Kellogg's mascot, "Tony the Tiger." It didn't matter, of course, that Exxon had already been using this logo for 30 years. A federal court tossed the suit. Kellogg appealed the case claiming the Exxon tiger walks and acts just like Kellogg's "Tony."

In 2003, Richard Schick sued his former employer, the Illinois Department of Public Aid. Schick sought $5 million plus $166,700 in back pay for sexual and disability discrimination. In fact, Shick was so stressed by this discrimination that he robbed a convenience store with a shotgun. A jury felt his pain and awarded him the money he was seeking. The decision was then reversed. Unfortunately, the $303,830 he was still awarded isn't doing him much good during the ten years he's serving for armed robbery.

In 1995, Robert Lee Brock, a Virginia prison inmate, decided to take a new approach to the legal system. After filing a number of unsuccessful lawsuits against the prison system, Brock sued himself. He claimed his civil rights and religious beliefs were violated when he allowed himself to get drunk. After all, it was inebriation that created his cycle of committing crimes and being incarcerated. He demanded $5 million from himself. However, since he didn't earn an income behind bars, he felt the state should pay. Needless to say, the case was thrown out.

In 1996, Florida physical therapist Paul Shimkonis sued his local nudie bar claiming whiplash from a lap dancer's large breasts. Shimkonis felt he suffered physical harm and mental anguish from the breasts, which he claimed felt like "cement blocks" hitting him. Shimkonis sought justice in the amount of $15,000, which was denied.

In 2003, Andrew Burnett sued Sara McBurnett and the San Jose Mercury News, claiming they had caused him to suffer mental anguish and post traumatic stress disorder. Burnett filed the lawsuit while serving a three-year sentence for killing defendant McBurnett’s dog in a road rage incident, claiming that the incident had caused his suffering. The case was thrown out.

In 2006, Allen Heckard sued Michael Jordan and Nike founder Phil Knight for $832 million. He claimed to suffer defamation, permanent injury, and emotional pain and suffering because people often mistook him for the basketball star. Heckard dropped the lawsuit later that year.

In 2002, Edward Brewer sued Providence Hospital for $2 million. He claimed that the hospital was negligent because it had not prevented him from raping one of its patients. The judge ruled that any damage Brewer suffered due to his crime was his responsibility for choosing to commit the crime, and that the hospital had no legal duty to protect him from that choice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:34 pm