CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Things your parents could've handled better when you were a kid

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Things your parents could've handled better when you were a kid Empty Things your parents could've handled better when you were a kid

Post by Supernova Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:57 pm

What are some things that when you were a kid, your parents did or said that you think they could've gone about it a better way than they did?

When I was in school, I wasn't a good student, I especially hated math and I didn't get a lot of it, and one day I was mouthing off about I don't get it and the kind of stuff I was learning, I was never going to need, and my mother walked out of the room and basically handed it over to my father to handle and he gave me a lecture of everybody needs to know math, it's how people who make clothes know how much fabric and thread to use, etc.

I don't get why she didn't just stick around and tell me that herself...it's one thing when you're a kid and most math as you know it are just stupid letters on a piece of paper, of course who's ever going to need that?, but it's another to have somebody explain that that everybody needs it in everyday life in examples like that.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Things your parents could've handled better when you were a kid Empty Re: Things your parents could've handled better when you were a kid

Post by Marc™ Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Probably consistency in parenting methods. There were usually laxed in authority....but then out of no where they'd get strict or become controlling about something totally random. Like 50 Saturday's out of the year I had no bedtime on the weekends and could stay up as late as I wanted, but then all of the sudden on some random Saturday night they'd tell me to go to bed at a midnight.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Things your parents could've handled better when you were a kid Empty Re: Things your parents could've handled better when you were a kid

Post by Chris Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 am

My parents could have better handled positive reinforcement for a job well done. When I brought home good grades, or was awarded on honors night, they always attended, but in retrospect I think they held off on over-congratulating me because–perhaps–they thought it would derail my focus from continuing.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:13 pm

My Mom was a wonderful person, but she wasn't girly at all. She didn't go out of her way to teach me basic things or help prepare me for all the girl stuff. I had to figure out everything on my own and it is crazy how that has shaped me to being unable to ask for help even at my age now.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm

RedBedroom wrote:My Mom was a wonderful person, but she wasn't girly at all. She didn't go out of her way to teach me basic things or help prepare me for all the girl stuff. I had to figure out everything on my own and it is crazy how that has shaped me to being unable to ask for help even at my age now.

My mother's the exact oppposite, she spent my whole youth trying to teach me how to be a proper little lady, which fortunately did not take effect after I turned 9. Even now she'll be criticizing what I do and say 'that's not ladylike' and I say 'neither am I', and I'm proud of it. And it's a good thing apparently that I am that way because my niece has always been a tomboy too and every other woman in the family is a 'lady', so we were the only ones each other could relate to.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 am

bump
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:55 am

I don't like that my parents assumed I was straight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:37 pm