CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+12
Nhaiyel
Impact
Nystyle709
SkwirtB
Wadsworth
kinetic
Marc™
Spsl19
FightSleep
Tony Marino
AtownPeep
Chris
16 posters

- The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread -

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

- The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread - - Page 2 Empty One thing I anticipate about the remake

Post by Chris Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:45 am

Okay, admittedly, I'm still very skeptical of them daring to remake ANOES. There is one thing (based on the previews) though I do think is good about it, and that's that they seem to be exploring Krueger's torment of the boys. In the original, all they did was focus on Nancy and Tina. Rod admitted that he had had nightmares about Krueger, and it was obvious from his expression upon hearing Tina's and Nancy's tales that Glenn had been dreaming about him too. However, we never actually saw Freddy torment them prior to their murders. The remake -- at least the trailers suggest -- seems to dealing with that.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

- The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread - - Page 2 Empty Re: - The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread -

Post by Chris Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:48 am

Kevin Yagher does Freddy's makeup the best, hands down. Although he dropped the ball bigtime with FvJ.
    I never liked David Miller's Freddy makeup.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

- The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread - - Page 2 Empty The metaphor of Freddy Krueger

Post by Chris Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:09 am

According to Robert Englund, Freddy serves as a metaphor for life's unexpected adversities.

* Freddy Krueger is being fired from your job.
    * Freddy Krueger is catching a flat tire on the highway.
    * Freddy Krueger is coming home to an eviction notice on your door.
    * Freddy Krueger is being diagnosed with cancer.
    * Freddy Krueger is being attacked at gunpoint.

He represents anything that is disastrous -- or potentially fatal -- but can ultimately be overcome by the sheer will or quick wit of the party. Agree?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

- The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread - - Page 2 Empty Re: - The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread -

Post by Tony Marino Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am

Doyen wrote:According to Robert Englund, Freddy serves as a metaphor for life's unexpected adversities.

* Freddy Krueger is being fired from your job.
    * Freddy Krueger is catching a flat tire on the highway.
    * Freddy Krueger is coming home to an eviction notice on your door.
    * Freddy Krueger is being diagnosed with cancer.
    * Freddy Krueger is being attacked at gunpoint.

He represents anything that is disastrous -- or potentially fatal -- but can ultimately be overcome by the sheer will or quick wit of the party. Agree?

Nope. How does the wit of the party overcome Cancer?
    Spsl19
    Spsl19
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Post by Spsl19 Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:42 am

Once I dreamt that Freddy was chasing me in the street. As I ran I suddenly began to FLY. But Freddy started flying too so he was still chasing me. I eventually wound up flying to FRANCE (why I don't know) but I was safe there because for some reason France had banned Freddy from the country. lol
    Spsl19
    Spsl19
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by Spsl19 Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:45 am

Said in Jackie Earle Haley's mush mouth voice.
    Spsl19
    Spsl19
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

- The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread - - Page 2 Empty "Bring Me to Life" (The Freddy Krueger tribute)

Post by Spsl19 Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:50 am

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Hey that is pretty cool! I still like Jason best!
    kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 19

Post by kinetic Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:34 pm

That was perfect.
    kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male

Post by kinetic Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:36 pm

According to Wes Craven, it's always a dream. Even when it seems like reality, it's a dream.
    kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male

Post by kinetic Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:38 pm

If it gets a bad rep its probably because it's smack dab in the MIDDLE of the series and came before Dream Child and Freddy's Dead.
    Spsl19
    Spsl19
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by Spsl19 Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Yeah Wes said that but I wonder if Jack Sholder & Ronny Yu worked behind that philosophy?
    Spsl19
    Spsl19
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by Spsl19 Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Yeah too close to the same neighborhood as 5 & 6. I like Dream Master tho. I think its the 2nd best sequel of the series BEHIND Dream Warriors.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

- The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread - - Page 2 Empty - The Official A Nightmare On Elm Street thread -

Post by Chris Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:12 am

- The A Nightmare On Elm Street thread - - Page 2 Freddy10

Discuss all things Freddy related here!
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm seeing it when it come out. Can't stand these "purists" who get mad at movies being remade cause there scared that the remake will be better than the original and that it will make them personally passee too.

It's worth checking out just to see if they can make Freddy actually be scary again. Except for parts 1 and 2, he was a corny buffoon.
    Spsl19
    Spsl19
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by Spsl19 Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:53 am

Opens this Friday! Who's gonna see it?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:44 am

Äcem®️ wrote:Opens this Friday! Who's gonna see it?

If I have time I may go see it.
    SkwirtB
    SkwirtB
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by SkwirtB Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:00 am

Yep I'm planning on going to the show to see it this weekend.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:06 pm

I'll will go see it solely because this Freddy doesn't look as scary as the original Freddy.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

I'll will go see it solely because this Freddy doesn't look as scary as the original Freddy.

Yep. This new Freddy doesn't seem frightening at all. The movie looks more "violent" than it does "scary."
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:15 pm

I saw Elm Street '10 last night at a sneak preview. It started out promisingly, but in the end I had some big problems with it.

1) I feel like they really didn't utilize Freddy's creative ability for the kills. Also, most of kills in the movie were just a rehash from the other Elm Street movies.

2) The kids were falling asleep over and over again and running into Freddy, but they didn't always have serious consequences. After a while, the kids ability to keep running away from Freddy unharmed took away from Freddy's intimidating nature and presence.

3) Also, there was constant switching between the dream world and the real world, which at times felt unrealistic and contrived (and ultimately messy).

4) This is just a petty quibble, but I really wanted to see more gore. It's Elm Street...come on! Give me gore. Show me blood. Show Freddy as the sadistic and inventive villain we all rooted for in the past. I'll never forget the way he used that guy in Dream Warriors as a puppet. That was terrifying and creative.

It was also frustrating to watch Jackie Earl Haley, not because he wasn't good (he was), but because he had so little to work with script-wise. I am a big fan of Jackie Earl so I hope that when people watch this they'll be able to pinpoint the shortcomings in the script and not blame his portrayal. Under the right direction and writing, he has the potential to be as memorable in his own way as Robert Englund. I hope he comes back for a more polished sequel.

Overall, the movie left me feeling disappointed. It had a lot of potential, but it never really took off and reached its peak. For a hardcore Elm Street fan, I guess it's an obligatory viewing; for the average viewer or horror-movie buff though, it might be a waste of time. The first time I saw the original, I was left feeling disturbed by the gore and creep factor of it. This remake instead seems like it was more about showing off the obviously much bigger budget.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:09 am

Im'a see it anyway. I don't expect critics to give horror good reviews because I dont really expect horror to be that good from a story-level. If its popcorn entertaining then that's good enough for me. Plus Ebert is always rating movies I like as bad. I dont trust his judgement.
    kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male

Post by kinetic Sun May 02, 2010 6:21 am

They say it made $15 mil on Fri and estimate it average about $30-40 million before the weekends out. I didnt see it but my buddy did and said the theater was jam packed.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 03, 2010 10:22 am

Was it any good?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:22 am