CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Forgiveness Man
TPP
Shale
Tony Marino
CeCe
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Chris
11 posters

Former SNL star attacks 'Glee' for promoting homosexuality

captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Former SNL star attacks 'Glee' for promoting homosexuality - Page 2 Empty Re: Former SNL star attacks 'Glee' for promoting homosexuality

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^I know you LUV me. Razz That's been obvious for weeks. Wink

Who's throwing sticks or stones? And it's not a "weak" comeback cause it isn't a comeback. I was merely playing with your shark analogy cause it was fun. big grin You didn't make any actual points worth addressing so that's why I "failed" to address them. So since you didn't make any valid points worth my time, I played with your analogy. big grin
    This quote actually kind of proves my own point for me when you examine it a little closer. You ask who's throwing sticks and stones, then proceed to do just that. So, I guess I really don't have to say anything here for once. I guess everything I've said on here since I started comming here hasn't been "worth addressing" (despite the fact that you routinely address them). You know, when something's not worth addressing, most people wouldn't bother responding to it. Just saying....

In any case, if you're going to continue to be butt hurt about being called homophobic (while simultaneously supporting homophobia and distancing yourself from any stance denouncing it), I'm pretty much going to have to rest my case here. If you're gonna make my point for me then there is really no reason to continue other than to have the last word. And I don't think Chris or the other admins would appreciate us needlessly hijacking a thread like this. So I'll bid you farewell on this thread and meet you at another more relevant one!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Former SNL star attacks 'Glee' for promoting homosexuality - Page 2 Empty Re: Former SNL star attacks 'Glee' for promoting homosexuality

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm not most people. And I'm not throwing sticks either.

I'm not hurt about being called homophobic. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I am not homophobic, despite your little crusade to prove otherwise. That's enough for me. Smile
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm

You two ruin every fucking thread you enter.

Take your pissing match to your private inboxes.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:59 am

Victoria Jackson recorded a song called "I Wanna Be a Slut." She needn't ever say another word about christian values again.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 am

Rockbird wrote:You two ruin every fucking thread you enter.

Take your pissing match to your private inboxes.
    If and when I find it necessary to appease YOU, I might take that under consideration. Here is a hint though: the easiest way to change the direction of a thread is to comment on from your own perspective (especially if you don't like the direction it's going). On the other hand, the easiest way to get embarrassed is to make an enemy of me. That's your freebee. Enjoy! big grin
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 am

Impact wrote:Victoria Jackson recorded a song called "I Wanna Be a Slut." She needn't ever say another word about christian values again.
    It's really a shame that people like her ruin the "good image" of Christians. The sad thing is, there are likely people out there who agree with her!
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:09 am

PMd, Bryce.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:57 am

To think I was actually a fan of this ditz at one time. What a nitwit.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 am

aw man, I had a whole reply typed out and one of the twinkies kicked the laptop!

Anyway, Bryce, not surprised you're Christian. That's great, I wish I could make it work for me because I miss some things about it.

I'm not an expert on homophobia so I can't define it for anyone else. I just know that I'm not comfortable judging anyone who isn't trying to hurt, or isn't hurting by negligence, anyone else. If people are hurt by someone else's sexuality (say a parent who says the daughter's homosexuality is hurting them) then it is because they are not having good boundaries. That's the "hurt" persons fault, not the person being judged.

I know that since I've let go of my religious ideas, I have absolutely no discomfort with the idea of homosexuality, so for ME thats definitely where my discomfort was coming from and it was uncomfortable enough feeling uncomfortable with homosexuality for me that it made me uncomfortable with the churches that I attended.

Once I let go of the idea that our interpretations of the Bible are the literal word of God- I used to think that it was perfect and God spoke and magically the Bible appeared and what the preacher said it meant was what it meant because God was telling him what to say too...*sigh* It was a LOT easier then, in some ways. It was nice to have someone tell me "just do this and you'll be okay". Until I couldn't make peace with what they were telling me.

I'm embarrassed that I was that way, but I can't change the past. I also used to think that I would grow up to be a man because my Dad showed me a picture of myself and told me it was him when he was a little girl. I thought K-Mart was called K-Mark because that was my dad's name and I didn't know the word "mart" yet. Breastfeeding was weird and women should always be stay at home moms... I thought lots of things that I later discovered I was wrong about.

lol, this is not the same reply that I wrote before, oh well. I'm glad that you two appreciate having each other to debate with Smile
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:30 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:aw man, I had a whole reply typed out and one of the twinkies kicked the laptop!

Anyway, Bryce, not surprised you're Christian. That's great, I wish I could make it work for me because I miss some things about it.

I'm not an expert on homophobia so I can't define it for anyone else. I just know that I'm not comfortable judging anyone who isn't trying to hurt, or isn't hurting by negligence, anyone else. If people are hurt by someone else's sexuality (say a parent who says the daughter's homosexuality is hurting them) then it is because they are not having good boundaries. That's the "hurt" persons fault, not the person being judged.
    It's remarkable just how similar your views on judgement are to someone who was once called "Jesus Christ". big grin

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her (the adulteress)" John 8:7

“Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:28-31

thepossiblepolice wrote:I know that since I've let go of my religious ideas, I have absolutely no discomfort with the idea of homosexuality, so for ME thats definitely where my discomfort was coming from and it was uncomfortable enough feeling uncomfortable with homosexuality for me that it made me uncomfortable with the churches that I attended.

Once I let go of the idea that our interpretations of the Bible are the literal word of God- I used to think that it was perfect and God spoke and magically the Bible appeared and what the preacher said it meant was what it meant because God was telling him what to say too...*sigh* It was a LOT easier then, in some ways. It was nice to have someone tell me "just do this and you'll be okay". Until I couldn't make peace with what they were telling me.

I'm embarrassed that I was that way, but I can't change the past. I also used to think that I would grow up to be a man because my Dad showed me a picture of myself and told me it was him when he was a little girl. I thought K-Mart was called K-Mark because that was my dad's name and I didn't know the word "mart" yet. Breastfeeding was weird and women should always be stay at home moms... I thought lots of things that I later discovered I was wrong about.

lol, this is not the same reply that I wrote before, oh well. I'm glad that you two appreciate having each other to debate with Smile
    That's what organized religion does to most people. It first assumes that they are SHEEP and that the church's doctrine is the SHEPHERD (not necessarily Jesus). It depends on people accepting that the church has the correct answers and that people should get their answers from the church, and not try to find them on their own. But keeping in mind the fact that different churches teach different things, here is an interesting perspective for you to consider:

http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2010/12/what_did_jesus_say_about_homosexuality.html
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:02 pm

captainbryce wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:aw man, I had a whole reply typed out and one of the twinkies kicked the laptop!

It's remarkable just how similar your views on judgement are to someone who was once called "Jesus Christ". big grin

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her (the adulteress)" John 8:7

“Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:28-31

thepossiblepolice wrote:I know that since I've let go of my religious ideas, I have absolutely no discomfort with the idea of homosexuality, so for ME thats definitely where my discomfort was coming from and it was uncomfortable enough feeling uncomfortable with homosexuality for me that it made me uncomfortable with the churches that I attended.

That's what organized religion does to most people. It first assumes that they are SHEEP and that the church's doctrine is the SHEPHERD (not necessarily Jesus). It depends on people accepting that the church has the correct answers and that people should get their answers from the church, and not try to find them on their own. But keeping in mind the fact that different churches teach different things, here is an interesting perspective for you to consider:

http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2010/12/what_did_jesus_say_about_homosexuality.html

I'm going to go read the link in a minute, but I have to say, if I WERE going to have a religion, I think I would start my own and it would be based on the words of Christ exclusively. It would be more like the Gnostic church of the past, focusing on Christ as an example based on his "known" actions and my goal would be to live as he lived. It would be a huge lifestyle change and it would be all about LOVING our fellow men and having faith in the divine power that we all have, to live spiritually and let go of the physical things that hold us back.

I've got no problem with Jesus, just the stuff that people do "in his name".
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:10 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:I'm going to go read the link in a minute, but I have to say, if I WERE going to have a religion, I think I would start my own and it would be based on the words of Christ exclusively. It would be more like the Gnostic church of the past, focusing on Christ as an example based on his "known" actions and my goal would be to live as he lived. It would be a huge lifestyle change and it would be all about LOVING our fellow men and having faith in the divine power that we all have, to live spiritually and let go of the physical things that hold us back.

That's pretty much the religion I try to live by now. Although saying all of that is quite a mouthful so I just usually stick to "Christian". When somebody raises an eyebrow to that answer (which they inevitably do), I can always elaborate further.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:17 pm

captainbryce wrote:

I read the article and it was an interesting interpretation. It makes more sense to me than other interpretations I have heard.

I think part of what I find difficult, is that there are all these parts of the Bible that are written in the context of a person living thousands of years ago, so we're forced to try to figure out what is a cultural issue (since the epistles are written by humans and we all have our own cultural bias and perspective) that is important only because it was important at that time, and what is still important today. I think about it logically and want to apply what I *think* is important to my life, but then there's all this stuff that isn't logical at all mixed in (the trinity, for example) that is supposedly fundamental to being part of the Christian religion and I want to throw out the baby with the bath water and just wash my hands of it.

Of course I know that's not in my best interest, not because I think it'll send me to Hell, but because I know that there is a lot of wisdom in the Bible, as there is in every religious text that I have ever read, but I grew up in such an "all or nothing" environment that I still feel like a hypocrite if I pick and choose that way.

When John Lennon said "imagine no religion, it's easy if you try, no hell below us, above us only sky" I used to think "How sad sad" but now I think "Wow, maybe that's something worth imagining" because I believe you can have faith without religion. I just haven't figured it out for myself yet. I WANT to have faith more than anything, that's why I named my daughter Faith. I want peace and comfort and to know that in the end it will all be okay...

But I'm full of doubt and I've settled for agnostic at the moment. It's been 6 years since I first started to doubt and I haven't come full circle yet. Maybe one day I will. I just don't know.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:17 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    ...if I WERE going to have a religion, I think I would start my own and it would be based on the words of Christ exclusively. It would be more like the Gnostic church of the past, focusing on Christ as an example based on his "known" actions and my goal would be to live as he lived. It would be a huge lifestyle change and it would be all about LOVING our fellow men and having faith in the divine power that we all have, to live spiritually and let go of the physical things that hold us back.

We tried that back in the "Hippie" days - and the Christian Controllers didn't like it any better than the Jewish Controllers of Jesus' time.

I tell ppl I have a very thin Bible - Matthew, Mark, Luke & John. The rest of the New Testament is about Paul trying to proselytize a new religion laying down the puritan laws that he thot Jesus inspired.

Got more into Eastern philosophy, which it appears Jesus was into as well.

thepossiblepolice wrote: ...But I'm full of doubt and I've settled for agnostic at the moment. It's been 6 years since I first started to doubt and I haven't come full circle yet. Maybe one day I will. I just don't know.

Don't hold yer breath. I've been at it for decades. blank stare @ you
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Shale wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:
    ...if I WERE going to have a religion, I think I would start my own and it would be based on the words of Christ exclusively. It would be more like the Gnostic church of the past, focusing on Christ as an example based on his "known" actions and my goal would be to live as he lived. It would be a huge lifestyle change and it would be all about LOVING our fellow men and having faith in the divine power that we all have, to live spiritually and let go of the physical things that hold us back.

We tried that back in the "Hippie" days - and the Christian Controllers didn't like it any better than the Jewish Controllers of Jesus' time.

I tell ppl I have a very thin Bible - Matthew, Mark, Luke & John. The rest of the New Testament is about Paul trying to proselytize a new religion laying down the puritan laws that he thot Jesus inspired.

Got more into Eastern philosophy, which it appears Jesus was into as well.

thepossiblepolice wrote: ...But I'm full of doubt and I've settled for agnostic at the moment. It's been 6 years since I first started to doubt and I haven't come full circle yet. Maybe one day I will. I just don't know.

Don't hold yer breath. I've been at it for decades. blank stare @ you

yeah, I figured it's more of a life long thing than it is a "oh, it's been 6 years, now I know all the answers" kind of thing Smile
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    I read the article and it was an interesting interpretation. It makes more sense to me than other interpretations I have heard.

I think part of what I find difficult, is that there are all these parts of the Bible that are written in the context of a person living thousands of years ago, so we're forced to try to figure out what is a cultural issue (since the epistles are written by humans and we all have our own cultural bias and perspective) that is important only because it was important at that time, and what is still important today. I think about it logically and want to apply what I *think* is important to my life, but then there's all this stuff that isn't logical at all mixed in (the trinity, for example) that is supposedly fundamental to being part of the Christian religion and I want to throw out the baby with the bath water and just wash my hands of it.

Of course I know that's not in my best interest, not because I think it'll send me to Hell, but because I know that there is a lot of wisdom in the Bible, as there is in every religious text that I have ever read, but I grew up in such an "all or nothing" environment that I still feel like a hypocrite if I pick and choose that way.

When John Lennon said "imagine no religion, it's easy if you try, no hell below us, above us only sky" I used to think "How sad sad" but now I think "Wow, maybe that's something worth imagining" because I believe you can have faith without religion. I just haven't figured it out for myself yet. I WANT to have faith more than anything, that's why I named my daughter Faith. I want peace and comfort and to know that in the end it will all be okay...

But I'm full of doubt and I've settled for agnostic at the moment. It's been 6 years since I first started to doubt and I haven't come full circle yet. Maybe one day I will. I just don't know.
    It might surprise you to know that I neither believe in "trinity" nor "hell" (as those concepts are typically taught in mainstream Christianity). I don't believe either of those concepts are biblically justified and I think they are both based on flawed extrapolations of scripture rather than actual teachings of Christ. There is not ONE biblical reference to a "trinity" nor is there a reference to a literal hell regarding eternal torment after death.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Shale wrote:I tell ppl I have a very thin Bible - Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.
    And the reality is, these are the only four books that any true Christian would EVER actually need.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:25 pm

captainbryce wrote:
    Shale wrote:I tell ppl I have a very thin Bible - Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.
    And the reality is, these are the only four books that any true Christian would EVER actually need.

I agree with that. I think that all the other books that were chosen to be included were chosen because the church wanted to control people.

My husband and I were talking about something similar the other day, about how in the Mormon church, women can't hold the priesthood. I thought it was just a relic from the past, and still think that is part of it (seems like religion is always the LAST thing to change as society moves forward and changes), but I asked "Why would they do that anyway?" My husband said it's because they wanted to control people, if you control women, then you're controlling half of the population right there...

Powerful people used to be able to buy passes to get away with sinning...How is that not corrupt?

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:32 am