CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Marcholm85
TPP
Supernova
2xy
Forgiveness Man
Chris
10 posters

Kids and Facebook

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Kids and Facebook Empty Kids and Facebook

Post by Chris Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:09 am

Facebook requires that its members be a minimum of thirteen years old in order to have an account. Do you think a thirteen year old should have a Facebook page? Would you allow your kids to have one?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Kids and Facebook Empty Re: Kids and Facebook

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 am

I guess MAYBE, depending on the kid, I'd let them have one. It'd really depend on the kid's personality and responsibility.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:57 am

I can't say that 13yo's "should" have a FB page, but I have had no problems with my kids' FB pages.

My kids have friends and family all over the country. FB makes it easier for them to stay connected.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:48 pm

"should"? No, would I let my kids have one? No.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:07 pm

It just depends. Are they responsible for their age? Are their grades up and are they getting enough time outside to play and stuff?

My concern with FB is not that it's too grown up for them or anything because I would have the password to their page and I'd know who they were friends were and I'd set their privacy settings and all that...I just don't think they need more screen time.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:34 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:It just depends. Are they responsible for their age? Are their grades up and are they getting enough time outside to play and stuff?

My concern with FB is not that it's too grown up for them or anything because I would have the password to their page and I'd know who they were friends were and I'd set their privacy settings and all that...I just don't think they need more screen time.

Exactly, if anything kids today need LESS screen time, they're already glued to the TV, video games, the computer and their cell phones that have a hundred features commonly found on computers but will drop a call if a cloud passes overhead.

And another issue I have with Facebook is the whole privacy thing, there is no privacy.
    Marcholm85
    Marcholm85
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Post by Marcholm85 Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Lol, my little sister has one. But I notice she only uses it on the weekends and her buddies are from her middle school.

But I think the previous posters said it best, it all depends on how responsible they are. But its strange because at 26, I dont facevook, twitter or myspace. So maybe something is wrong with me?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Marcholm85 wrote:Lol, my little sister has one. But I notice she only uses it on the weekends and her buddies are from her middle school.

But I think the previous posters said it best, it all depends on how responsible they are. But its strange because at 26, I dont facevook, twitter or myspace. So maybe something is wrong with me?

Well that's my theory, I do not now nor have I ever had a facebook account, a myspace account, or twitter, and if I can survive without it, why is it so important that my kid HAS to have it?
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Gosh, I love Facebook. My family and friends are so spread out, it's really nice to see what's up with them without having to visit a bunch of different blogs and stuff. I hate talking on the phone because of my hearing loss.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:07 pm

I don't see why not. Facebook today is like what a telephone in your bedroom was 20 years ago. I don't know how they do their parental controls features, but so long as their set then it shouldn't be a problem for a teenager to have a Facebook or Myspace page.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:42 pm

I'd prob. let them wait until high school. But it would definitely depend on my kid before I let them have a Facebook page. And I would definitely have parent controls on it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:09 pm

My son has one and I have liked him having one. I have been able to snoop on his account (which he knows, and was a stipulation for him getting one) and see what his friends are saying. It has tipped me off to a few things that I was not happy to know his friends are into.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 am

I would allow my teenager have a Facebook page, with the understanding that I would have access to, and power over, it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 am

JM130ELM wrote:I don't see why not. Facebook today is like what a telephone in your bedroom was 20 years ago. I don't know how they do their parental controls features, but so long as their set then it shouldn't be a problem for a teenager to have a Facebook or Myspace page.

No, a cell phone today is what like a telephone in your bedroom was 20 years ago.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Supernova wrote:
    JM130ELM wrote:I don't see why not. Facebook today is like what a telephone in your bedroom was 20 years ago. I don't know how they do their parental controls features, but so long as their set then it shouldn't be a problem for a teenager to have a Facebook or Myspace page.

No, a cell phone today is what like a telephone in your bedroom was 20 years ago.

And cellphones usually have Internet access and/or a Facebook application.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:04 am