CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Tony Marino
rienpoet
Shale
Cheaps
tmontyb
CeCe
Chris
11 posters

Do you believe the earth was created in six days?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you believe the earth was created in six days? Empty Do you believe the earth was created in six days?

Post by Chris Thu May 05, 2011 7:59 am

According to Genesis, God created the universe in six days and rested on the seventh. Many (religious) people believe this; others scoff at this interpretation, insisting that the universe couldn’t have possibly been created in such a short time span.

What do you think? Do you buy into the six day theory?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Do you believe the earth was created in six days? Empty Re: Do you believe the earth was created in six days?

Post by CeCe Thu May 05, 2011 8:31 am

LMAO! no. And science have done a good job of proving that.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Do you believe the earth was created in six days? Empty Re: Do you believe the earth was created in six days?

Post by tmontyb Thu May 05, 2011 9:05 am

I don't see how anyone could possibly believe the earth was created in 6 days.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu May 05, 2011 9:06 am

when i was a kid, yes i did believe that. but not now..
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu May 05, 2011 9:27 am

Chris wrote:... Do you buy into the six day theory?

No, it is the metaphorical writings of an ancient culture.

However, isn't there a Big Bang Theory that is much shorter than 6 days? But that is for the creation of the universe. For the Earth to get its shit together took billions of years.

Which also counters some religionists who say the world is merely 6K years old and all those dinosaur fossils were planted by god as a joke.

Religion is fiction - read it as such and it makes sense.
    rienpoet
    rienpoet
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by rienpoet Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 am

Chris wrote:According to Genesis, God created the universe in six days and rested on the seventh. Many (religious) people believe this; others scoff at this interpretation, insisting that the universe couldn’t have possibly been created in such a short time span.

What do you think? Do you buy into the six day theory?

I think time is relative. What is 'a day' according to God (or Bible, in this case)?

There are 4 definitions of 'a day on Earth'

- Solar day = the time between maximum elevations of the sun
    - The mean solar day = human's definition of time/day (24 hours a day, 60 minutes an hour, 60 seconds a minute)
    - The side real day/star day. First, we need a fixed star, then we look for the north/south direction then we could observe the time between successive passings of the star across the north/south line (meridian). That's why North Star played an important role for the ancient sailors (not only for the direction, but also for time)

But they all are influenced by Earth's rotation, so its length could be changed from time to time.

The most precise one is the one that is determined by the Atomic clock. Because it's free from Earth's rotation One Earth's day is 86,400 atomic seconds.

The thing is, how could we believe or not believe that the universe was created in six days, if we don't know the length of the day, which was mentioned in the Bible?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu May 05, 2011 11:24 am

Religious people take the bible very literally. Six days, rested on the seventh. And if Sunday is the first day, they're resting on the wrong day, but that's another subject. From the way the bible is written there's nothing to indicate that it means anything different than literal days, even mentioning evening & morning on each day. Which is why I just can't take it seriously. If you read the creation story it's a cute story but that's all I believe it is. I don't believe a man was made from a handful of dirt or a woman from a man's rib. So if I can't do that I have no reason to believe the earth was created in six "days" either, regardless of length. If a day is a million years...maybe. But that's not how it appears. Genesis to me is a story of the wondrous power of god. Speaking things into existence. Signs & wonders. Stories intended to humble mankind. I just believe it's allegory & not actual fact.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 am

It is what I was taught to believe in Catholic School.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu May 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I think if God is capable of creating an entire universe and all the stars, planets, animals, plants and people in it, I believe He could do it in six days, but like rienpoet said, what is six days according to God? Don't people say that a thousand years to us is like a second to Him?

So by that standard you could argue tha it did take the millions of years that scientists say it did, but the way I see it is it's not so much a case of the planet already being so old, but it was made to endure many things and survive for a long time so it can take whatever mankind can throw at it in his own crazed scientist fits of wanting to prove they can do something without considering if they should.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Chris wrote:Do you buy into the six day theory?

No.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Nope.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu May 05, 2011 11:28 pm

Once day God said KA-BOOM, and there was France.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:24 am