CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
CatEyes10736
Nhaiyel
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Shale
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Chris
12 posters

Too old to be a father

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Too old to be a father Empty Too old to be a father

Post by Chris Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:04 am

A couple years ago I read about a sixty-two year old woman who gave birth, and I remember most of the comments on the article were negative; people stating that it was selfish for a woman that old to have a child, because she'd have a shorter time with the kid. If you feel the same way about a menopausal/just-post menopausal woman giving birth, how do you feel about men over sixty fathering babies? Is it equally 'selfish,' and something to avoid?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Too old to be a father Empty Re: Too old to be a father

Post by Tony Marino Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:07 am

I don't think that its a good idea, not fair to the child if he only gets to know his parents for 10 or 15 years and the child's memories of them were that they were always old. How can you keep up with a baby at that age?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:34 am

Our bodies have a natural cutoff point for having children. I don't think it's a good idea in general to have kids when you're that old, but whatever. I think more importantly, you should be able to care and provide for the child. If you're 60 yrs old and in great shape, whatever. I remember when I was working at this elementary school and I saw a grandfather drop his granddaughter off to school. I thought it was her grandfather, it was actually her father. And she was very affectionate towards him and he towards her and you can tell they adored each other. If you're able to keep up that up at that age, I guess it's no big deal.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:40 am

I'm over 60 and in great shape, yet I don't even think of being a father to an infant. In 18 years, I will be 84 (unlikely I will still be here). So, the kid would be without a father - doable but not recommended.

There is a reason for menopause and probably erectile dysfunction. Great that modern science can alleviate both, but it should only be as surrogates for younger ppl.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:56 am

There's a case in Italy where a 70-something year old man and 58-year-old woman had a baby and the court is saying they are too old so they can't raise it.

Now this takes me back to I guess it was a couple of years ago, when the Highlander star Adrian Paul, his first and to date only child, was born when he was 50, and as Chris said, when it's a woman that old or even in her late 40s, people say SHE is selfish, well what about the father? He'll be about 70 when she graduates high school, and yes then you take cases where the fathers are even older, if it's selfish for mothers to become mothers at younger ages than that, then it's equally selfish for the fathers to become fathers that much later down the line.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:03 am

I believe in that Circle of Life shit. I am way past wanting to raise a child. The only ones in my future are the kind I can give back at the end of their visit. If someone wants to do otherwise, that's their business.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:05 am

I have to admit that I have a sexist double standard when it comes to this. When an older lady has an 'ironic' pregnancy, the first thing I do is start to calculate how old she'll be when the child is this or that age. I might do the same thing when it's an older man who sires a child, but it doesn't come off quite as offensive to me, if the mother is relatively young. I figure if he dies of old age when they're a teenager, they'll still have their mom.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:I have to admit that I have a sexist double standard when it comes to this. When an older lady has an 'ironic' pregnancy, the first thing I do is start to calculate how old she'll be when the child is this or that age. I might do the same thing when it's an older man who sires a child, but it doesn't come off quite as offensive to me, if the mother is relatively young. I figure if he dies of old age when they're a teenager, they'll still have their mom.

I'm the same way. For some reason it doesn't bother me much if a 60 or 70 year old man fathers a child with a woman in her 30's. I think the difference is that most older women who have babies have them with older men, so both parents are old during the child's life. Whereas most of the time when an older man fathers a baby, the mother is under 40.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:51 pm

I know a man who started another family with triplets at age 63. His wife was in her mid-40's with a raging biological clock, so she wanted a baby. He worked at home but was also Mr. Mom. One day he came to our office, and I noticed him snoozing away in his chair. He is a very large man and probably not in the greatest shape.

However, his oldest son (who was 36) offered to take in the children if something should happen to the parents. So at least there is some support there.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:57 pm

I don't think that it is a good idea for older men probably 55 plus to have kids. But it seems that a lot of the men having kids at that age are with younger women.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:04 pm

The way I see it is, who is anyone to judge when someone decides to have a child? You don't have to take care of the child. A child is a true blessing for those who want and hell even for those who don't. Live and let live. I would never want anyone to tell what I can and can't do with my life.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:22 pm

tmontyb wrote:The way I see it is, who is anyone to judge when someone decides to have a child? You don't have to take care of the child. A child is a true blessing for those who want and hell even for those who don't. Live and let live. I would never want anyone to tell what I can and can't do with my life.

Judge, perhaps. But people are definitely entitled to their own opinions.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:23 pm

I think people should be able to choose when they want to be parents without any flac from society about it. While I do disagree with babies being born to young teens who are still children themselves, I don't have a problem with an older person having a child--they have gone through a lot of life and have it's experiences to bring to raising a child, as well as hopefully they are financially stable by that point, too.

Age shouldn't matter--saying someone only has 15 years with their kid, thinking they'll die before they graduate high school is asinine; a young parent could die from any number of things like a car accident, cancer, young-person heart-attack--whatever, and leave their kid orphaned.

I say if you're up for the job, physically, mentally and financially, no matter what age, then go for it.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

Judge, perhaps. But people are definitely entitled to their own opinions.

As the cliche says "opinions are like **sholes, everyone has one". Just Dance

Seriously, I can't get worked up over an adult choosing to have a child.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:44 pm

On the other hand, there are plenty of "older parents" out there who have been doing a much better job of it than many young ones.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:27 pm

tmontyb wrote:
    As the cliche says "opinions are like **sholes, everyone has one". Just Dance
    I prefer "Opinions are like assholes - everyone thinks theirs don't stink."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:31 pm