CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Alan Smithee
Chris
6 posters

'Boy Wears Braces for 11 Years, Sues Orthodontist'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News 'Boy Wears Braces for 11 Years, Sues Orthodontist'

Post by Chris Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/boy-wears-braces-11-years-sues-orthodontist/story?id=17091081#.UD0ctEQlzxh

Boy Wears Braces for 11 Years, Sues Orthodontist

'Boy Wears Braces for 11 Years, Sues Orthodontist' Ht_devin_bost_ll_120828_wg
    Devin Bost of Oregon is suing his orthodontist over the length of time he wore braces. (Devin Bost/Facebook)

By ALAN FARNHAM
    Aug. 28, 2012

Why would an orthodontist leave braces on a kid's teeth for 11 years? That's what Devin Bost of Oregon says his orthodontist did to him, from the time he was 7 until he was 18 years old.

Bost is suing Brad Chvatal, D.M.D., for what Bost's complaint says were permanent injuries to his teeth, mouth and gums.

The complaint, filed Friday in Multnomah County circuit court, seeks $150,000 for pain and suffering, plus $35,100, which Bost's attorney, David Hollander, said is what his client has had to pay for corrective oral surgery and related expenses.

Kids typically wear braces for only 1 to 3 years, says Dr. John F. Buzzatto, president of the American Association of Othodontists, which, according to him, is the oldest and largest dental specialty organization in the world.

Buzzatto said there can be situations where a patient might need extended treatment: A patient might have impacted teeth, say, or an over-developed lower jaw, or might move away from his orthodontist and "disappear for five or six years."

Still, for somebody to wear braces 11 years would be "extremely unusual," Buzzatto said.

"I could not think of an instance where that would be the case," he said.

Chvatal, contacted by ABC News, said that privacy rules under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and doctor-patient confidentiality prevent his discussing the details of the case, but that it was "very complicated."

He and Bost's previous orthodontist tried to give Bost "the best result we possibly could," he said.

"We had a great rapport," Chvatal said of his former patient. He said there are extenuating circumstances, and that Bost did "a lot of moving."

Hollander said Bost did not move, but stayed in the area around Eugene and Cottage Grove, where Chvatal has his offices, during the entire period.

Chvatal said he has submitted all relevant medical documents to his insurer, the American Association of Orthodontists Insurance Company, whose experts found nothing outside the scope of standard care. A claims manager for the carrier said its investigation is not yet complete.

Are braces, per se, harmful if worn too long?

"Not necessarily," Buzzatto said. The problem is not so much the braces, as the increased difficulty the wearer has in trying to keep his teeth clean.

"If you don't have the best hygiene, you run the risk of decalcification of the teeth," he said.

Patients who keeps their teeth clean could wear braces as long as seven years and not suffer any harm, he said, but added, "Not that I would advocate that."

Hollander said Bost first came under Chvatal's care in 1997, when he was 7. During the entire 11 years, Bost visited Chvatal "periodically -- I can't say regularly," the lawyer said.

As a boy growing up, Bost just did what his dentist told him to do, Hollander said.

Then in 2008, according to the complaint, Bost got "an urgent phone call" from Chvatal's office saying that he needed to have the braces removed immediately.

It's not known if, on that occasion, Chvatal's office held true to custom.

"Each time a patient's braces come off, we sing and have a party," his web site says.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

News Re: 'Boy Wears Braces for 11 Years, Sues Orthodontist'

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…) I wore braces from 5th grade into my senior year of H.S. Dr. Weiser did a fantastic job. It's something I have always been grateful to my parents for paying for. After they were off big grin (See how straight they are?)
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Did you have actual braces the full time Al? Or was it another appliance that eventually led to braces?

There has to be more to this kid's story and it sucks for the dentist who can't defend himself publicly.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:04 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Did you have actual braces the full time Al? Or was it another appliance that eventually led to braces?

There has to be more to this kid's story and it sucks for the dentist who can't defend himself publicly.

I agree Red. I think this story is missing some details.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Did you have actual braces the full time Al? Or was it another appliance that eventually led to braces?

Oh yeah. But before the braces I had to have 2 teeth pulled to make room. Had those metal bands glued to my teeth, strung together with metal ties for years. My teeth would ache for days after my appointment to have them tightened. Oh and then the night brace (like the one Anthony Michael Hall wears in 16 candles). I was lucky and only had to wear it at bed time. I remember walking passed some other kid about my age in a department store in the middle of the day. Poor bastard had to walk around like a horse with a bit in his mouth. And then after the braces finally all came off I had to have my 4 boney impacted wisdom teeth yanked. Scuse me...I need to go floss.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 pm

I am happy to say I never had to wear those things on my teeth but 11 years seems a bit long, why didn't they question it when it was 5 years?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:38 am

Tony Marino wrote:I am happy to say I never had to wear those things on my teeth but 11 years seems a bit long, why didn't they question it when it was 5 years?

THIS, I always thought having to wear them two years was too damn long.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm