CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Cheaps
Nystyle709
JM130ELM
Shale
Nhaiyel
Tony Marino
Marc™
Dan70
Chris
13 posters

When does physical discipline become child abuse?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

When does physical discipline become child abuse? Empty When does physical discipline become child abuse?

Post by Chris Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 am

From the threads about corporal punishment, the consensus here seems to be that an unruly, misbehaved child needs to get his behind beat. My next question is, where's the line between physical discipline and outright child abuse? Have you ever seen any examples of parents who just go too far when it comes to hitting their kids?
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

When does physical discipline become child abuse? Empty Re: When does physical discipline become child abuse?

Post by Dan70 Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:59 am

My dad wasn't hesitant to use such force in his discipline that it bordered on brutality, so I can tell you that there's a very fine line between the two. Where it is I don't know. What I do know is that it wasn't fun to get beat.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

When does physical discipline become child abuse? Empty Re: When does physical discipline become child abuse?

Post by Marc™ Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 am

I guess it becomes abuse when the parent flies into a rage, and starts using closed fists and leaves bruses and broke bones.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:47 am

Dan70 wrote:My dad wasn't hesitant to use such force in his discipline that it bordered on brutality, so I can tell you that there's a very fine line between the two. Where it is I don't know. What I do know is that it wasn't fun to get beat.

My Dad was the same as yours. When it escalates from a slap on the behind or the hands to being punched in the head, hit with whatever object happens to be around or beaten with a strap, then it becomes child abuse.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:27 pm

When it's done out of rage and the blows inflicted were hard enough to leave a mark. I'm not one of those "no hitting" types when it comes to disciplining a child, but the truth is that there can be a very fine line between physical discipline and child abuse. Before a parent resorts to whupping their kids butts, they need to calm and compose themselves first.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Yes, definitely should not leave a mark on the kid.

In fact, the one time I had to smack my 8-yr-old nephews butt to make him behave, it was just one smack and not all that hard. He was testing his limits and that was the wake up smack that he found them. The fact that I had him by the shoulder with one hand, lifted his puny bod with the smacking hand and put him into the bathroom to take a bath got the message across that he was to do what was expected of him. He didn't cry or anything, just took a bath - game over.

Now I was afraid of my dad when I was a kid. Back then parents, especially blue collar fathers didn't play. Also my mom wore my ass out with a belt.

(Oh, and watch your Scorpio child. Once after the belt I went into the bathroom and scrubbed my bare butt with a hair brush until it glowed red, then went and showed my mom what she had done to me. She bought it.)
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:09 pm

1) If you hit them enough to leave a lasting mark

2) If you hit them for every little infraction.

3) If you hit them with anything besides the flat of your hand

4) If hitting happens anywhere besides the hand or butt.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Yeah yeah, what everybody else said. I'm not above of a sound ass whupping, but I will be using a belt instead of a drop cord or a hot wheel track.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:When it's done out of rage and the blows inflicted were hard enough to leave a mark. I'm not one of those "no hitting" types when it comes to disciplining a child, but the truth is that there can be a very fine line between physical discipline and child abuse. Before a parent resorts to whupping their kids butts, they need to calm and compose themselves first.

agree!
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 am

Others have basically said it. When it lasts for longer than 60 seconds, leaves a bruise and involved anything other than a open hand or belt.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:43 am

Some people think corporal punishment is always inappropriate. I think it can be appropriate if used sparingly and with caution. Here are some possible guidelines.

What is the motivation for discipline? The primary motivation should be for the betterment of the child. Discipline is NOT be for the convenience of the parent. For example the parent shouldn't spank the kid because he/she (parent) is too lazy to use a more appropriate punishment that takes more work to put into place.

Never punish for an accident. Don't spank the kid for spilling his milk when he didn't mean to.

Corporal punishment should never leave a bruise or mark.

Corporal punishment should be rare. If the parent uses it all the time, or for trivial reasons, it loses its effectiveness.

There is a certain age window when corporal punishment is most appropriate. Age 3 to 10 is a possible range. It doesn't do any good to spank a baby, because he/she doesn't understand what's going on. And pre-teens are getting too old. There are other punishments that can be more appropriate and effective for pre-teens (grounding, loss of privilege, etc).

Corporal punishment should never be done in a way that embarrasses the child. It should be done in private in a manner that is respectful to the personhood of the child. Fathers disciplining their daughters should take special precaution here.

Never spank when angry. The parent must take time to evaluate the situation and think through what punishment is most appropriate.

Punishment needs to be at the “right” time so the child associates the punishment with the bad behavior. It should be fairly close to the time of the event. For example you wouldn’t punish a three year old for something they did a week ago. Their sense of time has not developed to the point where they can still associate the punishment with the act.

In most cases parents are the only ones who should spank. Teachers and relatives should not be using it. In cases of blended families it should be done by the parent, not the step-parent.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

RiteDiva wrote:
    There is a certain age window when corporal punishment is most appropriate. Age 3 to 10 is a possible range. ... pre-teens are getting too old. There are other punishments that can be more appropriate and effective for pre-teens (grounding, loss of privilege, etc).

HA! The last time my mom hit me, it was for saying "god damnit" to my stepbrother. I was about 16.

The fact that she was a block away when she heard it coulda made her mad. My stepbrother was shaking a branch that I was hanging on in a tree and I was scared/pissed that I was about to fall, so of course I expressed that.

Mom might have hurt her hand banging on my back. Didn't really hurt me, but terrified me that she was doing it.

Like I said, that was the last time. She soon found a more sinister way to get at me. Crying. Anybody ever made your mom cry by being bad? I'd rather be hit.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:When it's done out of rage and the blows inflicted were hard enough to leave a mark. I'm not one of those "no hitting" types when it comes to disciplining a child, but the truth is that there can be a very fine line between physical discipline and child abuse. Before a parent resorts to whupping their kids butts, they need to calm and compose themselves first.

I totally agree with this. When a child misbehaves so egregiously that it incenses the parent, I think they should wait at least thirty minutes before they spank to give themselves time to calm down. If after that they still think the kid needs some forceful discipline for what they did, then they will at least not be lashing out from anger.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Chris wrote:From the threads about corporal punishment, the consensus here seems to be that an unruly, misbehaved child needs to get his behind beat. My next question is, where's the line between physical discipline and outright child abuse? Have you ever seen any examples of parents who just go too far when it comes to hitting their kids?
    I personally am for it when it comes to younger children (under 10), but only for certain types of disciplinary problems. If your toddler tries to grab a hot plate or a sharp object after you yell no, you should slap him on the hand. If a 4 year old is climing up on the counter or messing around in the medicine cabinet when he/she knows she's not supposed to, that deserves a spanking. A kindergartener who is seen fighting or beating up another student should also be spanked, then lectured.

But if you are beating your 12 year old with a belt for not taking out the trash or for getting poor grades in school, that's not the best form of discipline because all its doing is creating an environment of fear and intimidation, not respect. Also, a spanking for those types of behavior problems doesn't really address the underlying issues (why is he getting poor grades; why is he forgetting to take out the trash). Taking away privlidges and distractions are more effective forms of corrective actions for those types of problems.

It should also depend on the personality of the child and how excessive you are with it. Corporal punishment doesn't work for some children and there are many alternative forms of punishment. Unfortunately it's very subjective and the law is rather inconsistent when it comes to what is "excessive" and what is "acceptable". This is one of the reasons why corporal punishment is so contraversial.

I think that if the child has marks on him (blood, cuts, bruises or scars), that is a sign of child abuse. Children should never be hit in the face! The backside and legs is the only place corporal punishment should be administered and it obviously shouldn't be done with anything that's going to cut skin or break bones. I also think parents should explore other forms of discipline before they resort to corporal punishment as a first response.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:39 pm