CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
JM130ELM
tmontyb
Nystyle709
Marc™
TPP
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Forgiveness Man
GrayWolf
Kral
13 posters

The "Morning After" pill

TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

The "Morning After" pill - Page 2 Empty Re: The "Morning After" pill

Post by TPP Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Marc™ wrote:Without digging through the muck, I'm just gonna say that the MA pill just hinders conception from happening....it closes the door before the intruders (sperm) get into the house. It's no more an abort drug than spermicidal condoms are.

That depends on what you believe about when life begins. If you believe that life begins at conception, meaning a fertilized egg that hasn't implanted is "life", then you're taking a risk. This is from the Planned Parenthood website:

Emergency contraception is made of one of the hormones found in birth control pills — progestin. Hormones are chemicals made in our bodies. They control how different parts of the body work.

The hormone in the morning-after pill works by keeping a woman's ovaries from releasing eggs — ovulation. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm. The hormone in the morning-after pill also prevents pregnancy by thickening a woman's cervical mucus. The mucus blocks sperm and keeps it from joining with an egg.

The hormone also thins the lining of the uterus. In theory, this could prevent pregnancy by keeping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.

You might have also heard that the morning-after pill causes an abortion. But that's not true. The morning-after pill is not the abortion pill. Emergency contraception is birth control, not abortion.

I admit that chances may be small, but for a person who was completely pro-life and considering EC, that's important to understand, IMO.

In no way do I think that EC shouldn't be available, I think it should. I do not think that it's the same as spermicidal condoms though because condoms do nothing to cause miscarriage once an egg is fertilized.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:53 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:

How can you abuse it? You can't get 'high' with it. The MA pill prevents conception. So if somehow in the five days before it loses its potency and a sperm cell actually fertilized an egg, the MA pill won't 'abort' the zygote or harm it in any way like some people believe. Nothing happens.

I imagine that someone could force someone else to take it.

If you're trying to say what I think you're trying to say.....that scenario so far-fetched that it's not even relavant enough to be called abuse. No one can force somebody to take anything. And like I said before, if you actually do become pregnant, the MA pill does nothing. No slight against you personally, but it's like a lot of people who are 'pro-life' are also 'anti-birth control'. No, you can't get an abortion because you're 'killing' a baby but you also can't do anything to stop yourself from getting pregnant. If people don't want kids, they don't want kids. I'd rather you take every measure you can to stop yourself from getting pregnant rather than go through the ordeal of an abortion.

Abuse does not = getting high, IMO.

What does it equal? Going by your logic in this sense, people can abuse condoms. I fail to see how you how much abuse you can do with birth control.

I don't know all the facts about EC, but it used to be, I believe, that it allowed a sperm to fertilize an egg, but made the uterine environment hostile to the fertilized egg. Maybe it's not that way any more, but birth control pills and depo provera do the same thing, only they also reduce the chances of ovulation. Still, some pregnancies are prevented, if you read the fine print, by the same mechanism. I personally don't take hormonal bc because I don't want to take that risk. I believe that life begins at conception, but I don't go around shoving that view down the throats of others, because we are all entitled to our own opinion about it.

I don't take pescription birth control either but however it prevents conception, then mission accomplished. Doesn't matter how. If you believe life begins at conception, then why are there concerns about how it prevents it? Conception still isn't happening, therefore....you're not 'taking' a life. Condoms do the same thing. It disrupts the biological nature of a sperm reaching an egg when two people have sex. If you are not against birth control, then I don't think you should be against this either.

Because of my beliefs about life beginning at conception, I believe that EC is just as serious as an abortion and shouldn't be something taken lightly. I think the same thing about hormonal birth control though, which is only available with an Rx.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Nystyle, I tried to quote but it was too much and when I tried to break it up I got confused and deleted too much...

Anyway, I think you and I just have a different viewpoint about when conception occurs. I believe it occurs when the egg is first fertilized. EC does not always prevent this from happening, theoretically. Neither does hormonal birth control. It sounds like you believe pregnancy doesn't occur until after implantation, which is a totally valid viewpoint as well.

I just *personally* for my own body, am not okay with the risk of prematurely intentionally ending a pregnancy (by my standards) and know others who feel the same.

My point is more about other women who feel the same way I do, who wouldn't take EC if they knew that it was even a remote possibility that it might keep a fertilized egg from implanting after conception had occurred.

Condoms are actually one of the best methods of contraception for people that feel the way that I do, because if a sperm gets in and you happen to become pregnant, there's nothing in your body to mess with your hormones.

I totally understand how you might think that condoms and EC are the same thing, because to you the fertilized egg is probably no different than any other ovulation. Because I think life begins when the egg is fertilized, it's a completely different thing in my eyes.

However, I would never want BC or EC to become unavailable, I fully support a woman's right to choose them for her own body.

As for abuse of them, it may be far fetched and I've probably just known too many abused women in my life, but the first thing I thought when I thought of a man buying EC is a guy forcing his wife or gf to take it whether she wanted to or not. My mom thought I was pregnant when I was 14 and tried to force me to get an abortion so maybe that's why. I do admit it's (hopefully) far fetched, but if a guy will punch his gf in the belly when she's pregnant, why wouldn't he do that too?

I think that it's wrong to make something illegal because someone might abuse it anyway though. So my whole stance is more "It makes me uncomfortable that it's taken lightly but it should still be widely available" than wanting it to go back to only being available with an Rx.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:00 am

It shouldn't replace other protection methods, it should function as a failsafe and last I checked, that's what it does and how it is generally used.

If you use it as a sole method of birth control, you are leaving yourself open to unnecessary risk.

It is like being a construction worker. You could wear a hard hat, which is generally a good protection measure on a construction site. You could also wear gloves. That is another good protection measure on a construction site. You could also wear both, that way you are maximally protected.

There is no good reason not to "stack" birth control methods to ensure the greatest possible protection from the worst case scenario.

If only one can be used at all, I don't think it would be good to use this particular method if other better options are available.

If you can get a shot or take daily pills, the way I understand it those are better protections against pregnancy than this so they should be preferred. If you can't afford anything that provides a statistically better likelihood of preventing pregnancy than this, then by all means use this.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Impact wrote:It shouldn't replace other protection methods, it should function as a failsafe and last I checked, that's what it does and how it is generally used.

If you use it as a sole method of birth control, you are leaving yourself open to unnecessary risk.

It is like being a construction worker. You could wear a hard hat, which is generally a good protection measure on a construction site. You could also wear gloves. That is another good protection measure on a construction site. You could also wear both, that way you are maximally protected.

There is no good reason not to "stack" birth control methods to ensure the greatest possible protection from the worst case scenario.

If only one can be used at all, I don't think it would be good to use this particular method if other better options are available.

If you can get a shot or take daily pills, the way I understand it those are better protections against pregnancy than this so they should be preferred. If you can't afford anything that provides a statistically better likelihood of preventing pregnancy than this, then by all means use this.

co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:14 pm