CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Nhaiyel
RobbieFTW
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
TexasLady
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
CatEyes10736
stonestatic
13 posters

Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request

stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request Empty Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request

Post by stonestatic Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:15 am

More and more high schools are pledging to hand out condoms to those students who ask for them. At the same time, even more students and parents are requesting that high schools should in fact give free condoms to students who wish to procure one. How do you feel about this?
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request Empty Re: Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:49 am

When I was in high school, passing out condoms would have meant that they'd likely be scrolled all over the hallways in crude fashion. Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request Shrugs I'm not really against it per se, but I'm not thrilled at the idea either.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request Empty Re: Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:25 am

I think it's stupid and enables kids to be promiscuous, and since condoms fail(especially in ignorant hands like these guys), it's like giving them a license to become teenage parents(or worse).

If these kids want condoms so damn bad, I see them in about every drug store or Walmart I go to. Pay for them yourselves. Schools should NOT have to waste ANY money passing out CONDOMS, of all things. Kids shouldn't be screwing on school time so it's no business of the schools. I so got a good Boston Legal story about this though. xD

Last edited by Forgiveness_Man on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:06 am

That's what I said...now no teenager who plans to have sex is going to admit to their parents least of all that they're immature and irresponsible, hence nowhere near ready to have sex or even face the consequences that come with it etc., so, if you're soooo mature and responsible and ready to do this, you can pay for your own protection. Because that's what ADULTS do, they don't go running to mommy and daddy for their condoms and pills.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:10 am

^^^^Exactly! If they want to be treated adults, it's time they started acting like it. People always say that they're old enough to be doing it, well if that's true, they don't need to be freely given their so-called protection; they can get it themselves.
    TexasLady
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by TexasLady Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Forgiveness_Man I totally agree with you. The schools handing out condoms is like saying here take them it is okay for you to mess around. I hate to think that my hard earned dollars that I pay school taxes with are used for this kind of thing. They should be having classes to teach them to restrain from sex at an early age instead of encouraging it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:08 pm

They give 'em out at the free clinic. Go there and get 'em. IA with CatEyes....I see what the schools are trying to do, but I don't think passing out condoms there is the best option. Spend the money on sex education instead.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:56 pm

TexasLady wrote:Forgiveness_Man I totally agree with you. The schools handing out condoms is like saying here take them it is okay for you to mess around. I hate to think that my hard earned dollars that I pay school taxes with are used for this kind of thing. They should be having classes to teach them to restrain from sex at an early age instead of encouraging it.

I agree. But then again, I've accepted that my tax dollars will be going to waste when it comes to the schools.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:54 pm

I think that it sucks that the kids who need condoms are going to have sex regardless. They are too shy to purchase condoms, yet think they are ready for sex. I don't think that schools should be spending money on condoms and would be better served to send things to parents about teens having sex and the statistics. This may prompt more talk about sex at home. That is the only place sex education makes a big difference anyway.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:00 pm

^^^^That's what's so funny. Oh the irony!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 pm

RedBedroom wrote: I don't think that schools should be spending money on condoms and would be better served to send things to parents about teens having sex and the statistics. This may prompt more talk about sex at home. That is the only place sex education makes a big difference anyway.

That's what I say until I'm blue in the face, but does anybody listen? Noooooooooooooooooo, everybody says that the school needs to do it. Because who knows IF the parents will have that talk with their kids? Yeah, why should anybody put any pressure on parents to do actually do their job instead of giving them an easy way out? Funny thing of it is, most mothers agree they wouldn't want the school be the one telling their daughters about their periods, NO, that is going to be THEIR job, but when it's a matter of the child's very health and potentially a matter of life or death, no, that's something the school can handle. WHAT is the logic with these people?

I was homeschooled, never had 'the talk' with anybody in my family, and I still knew what sex was and what was the correct and factual information on it from the time I was 9 on.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14 pm

^^^^That's another reason I don't buy the idea of kids being ignorant of sex because their schools didn't teach them. Please, if I know about it, they don't have any excuse to not know. I think we need to start teaching kids about the responsibility that comes with sex. If you do it, you accept the consequences. Don't go blaming people who told you to not do it for not telling you to do it with a condom.

It's like people bitching about getting lost when they outright ignored the directions given them.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Supernova wrote:

That's what I say until I'm blue in the face, but does anybody listen? Noooooooooooooooooo, everybody says that the school needs to do it. Because who knows IF the parents will have that talk with their kids? Yeah, why should anybody put any pressure on parents to do actually do their job instead of giving them an easy way out? Funny thing of it is, most mothers agree they wouldn't want the school be the one telling their daughters about their periods, NO, that is going to be THEIR job, but when it's a matter of the child's very health and potentially a matter of life or death, no, that's something the school can handle. WHAT is the logic with these people?

I was homeschooled, never had 'the talk' with anybody in my family, and I still knew what sex was and what was the correct and factual information on it from the time I was 9 on.

Glad to see that you are in agreement. I see too often parents who think that the schools "have it covered". My son is only 11, and as rough as it is/will be for me to talk to him about this stuff, I know that it has to be done much earlier these days than in my days (hs in the early to mid 90's)

Kids are curious at a way younger age, and therefore it stands to reason that those curiosities are acted on at a much earlier age. I don't think a lot of parents realize that educating about the dangers goes beyond just talking about it one time.

I want to clarify that kids may be simply "curious" these days at the same time they were in younger generations. But the defining difference is that this curiosity is coupled with more knowledge from media than it was during my childhood.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:25 pm

^^^^But the emotional level they are at is still the same, so that makes the potential consequences for their curiosity all the greater.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:58 pm

I'm half and half with it. Not totally opposed but at the same time it might be overstepping bounds a little. If there's a local planned parenthood office nearby, I think the schools should direct students to pick up their free condoms there. I'm 100% behind sex education tho.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Sex Ed. is important, but not if all the arrogant, "it would never happen to me" teens look at it as a joke. Parents have to be more ready and willing to educate.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 am

I don't think schools should arbitrarily pass them out to students, nor do I think there should be condom dispensers installed (in instances such as these, I can see prankster types offensively throwing them about the hallways and classrooms as CatEyes said), but I see nothing wrong with the nurse having a supply of them in her office and giving them out after school "by request."
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:10 am

RobbieFTW wrote:I'm half and half with it. Not totally opposed but at the same time it might be overstepping bounds a little. If there's a local planned parenthood office nearby, I think the schools should direct students to pick up their free condoms there. I'm 100% behind sex education tho.

That's little different. lol It's like directing kids to the local drug dealer instead of giving them the drugs themselves. Schools have NO business in kids' sexual lives. Again, the kids have to start being responsible. If they can't handle paying for condoms at Walmart, then they can't handle sex, it's that simple.

I am for true sex education. I am not sure school's still do it. Any school that would direct a child to Planned Parenthood of all places doesn't know the meaning of sex education.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:49 am

I think schools passing out condoms would have made more sense in during the burgeoning AIDS epidemic/safe-sex movement of the 1980s and early 1990s. Today, I think kids are well versed enough to know where they can get condoms. Hell, they're sold at gas stations. Schools don't need to intervene with this.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Chris wrote:I think schools passing out condoms would have made more sense in during the burgeoning AIDS epidemic/safe-sex movement of the 1980s and early 1990s. Today, I think kids are well versed enough to know where they can get condoms. Hell, they're sold at gas stations. Schools don't need to intervene with this.

Agreed. I could buy a naive teenager unsure of how to maneuver the situation back in 1990, but in 2010 it wouldn't take much for a 12 year old to get his hands on one. Schools don't need to handhold kids like this anymore. If you've ever bought a bag a chips, chances are the same place sells condoms.
    TexasLady
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by TexasLady Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I don't think it is the school's place to teach sex education. It is the parents place and the school should have nothing to do with it.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:That's little different. lol It's like directing kids to the local drug dealer instead of giving them the drugs themselves. Schools have NO business in kids' sexual lives. Again, the kids have to start being responsible. If they can't handle paying for condoms at Walmart, then they can't handle sex, it's that simple.

deranged Not following the parallel between schools directing kids to Planned Parenthood to pick up condoms & additional safer sex info. and them directing them to a local drug dealer.

I am for true sex education. I am not sure school's still do it. Any school that would direct a child to Planned Parenthood of all places doesn't know the meaning of sex education.

God only knows the horror you would endorse as "sex education". Let me guess...images of welfare moms, herpes sores, dying aids patients, hellfire followed by designer chastity belts.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:43 pm

And how about the in between? When I was a kid and found out about sex, there was no information on Planned Parenthood, and no graphic pictures, there were facts, you CAN get pregnant even if you just do it once, you CAN get STDs if you only have sex once, condoms and birth control are not 100% effective, you still risk getting pregnant or a disease, and that was good enough to put me off on ever thinking about doing it before I was an adult ready to deal with the consequences.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:58 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:

deranged Not following the parallel between schools directing kids to Planned Parenthood to pick up condoms & additional safer sex info. and them directing them to a local drug dealer.

God only knows the horror you would endorse as "sex education". Let me guess...images of welfare moms, herpes sores, dying aids patients, hellfire followed by designer chastity belts.

The parallel is that both are about as equally effective at giving you what is best for you. Wait, let's not insult drug dealers by comparing them to Planned Parenthood. Razz In other words, Planned Parenthood sucks! The only help they give is the illusionary kind. Wink

The horror? lol You'd guess wrong. My "sex education" would be about responsibility, facts, and giving the best advice possible(instead of settling for something that works most of the time). Instead of telling kids to wear a helmet when they go cycling off a cliff, I tell them to be smart and stay away from cliffs. Razz And you know what? if they follow my directions, they won't get pregnant/STDs. I am for giving the best directions to people. If people choose not to follow directions, then they have nobody to blame but themselves when they get lost. This happened before to somebody I know. My dad gave her directions that she didn't want to follow; she got lost. Whose fault was it that she got lost? Hers!

I don't need to resort to those images to educate. I think maybe your own inner fears are showing with that suggestion. (And chastity belts are stupid. You don't need to call attention to yourself) It is not my sex education that is the "horror." The horror is directing kids to Planned Parenthood for any kind of "education" and thinking they're going to be good.(Maybe we can direct them to Dunkin Donuts for information on staying thin while we're at it)
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:39 am

Condom distribution policy starting in elementary school at Provincetown, Mass.
    BY [url=http://www.nydailynews.com/authors/Aliyah Shahid]Aliyah Shahid[/url]
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 3:48 PM

Schools Passing Out Condoms By Request Alg_condoms
    Plowman/Getty
    A school committee in Provincetown, Mass. has adopted a condom policy beginning as early as elementary school.

Sex education starts early, especially if you go to elementary school in Provincetown, Mass. That’s because the school committee has
    unanimously adopted a condom distribution policy beginning as early as first grade. According to the Provincetown Banner, the program
    requires that students speak to a school nurse or trained counselor before receiving condoms.The committee also directed school leaders not to
    honor demands from parents who object to their kids receiving protection.Some members on the committee were wary because the program requires
    that students speak to school officials first. But Beth Singer, the school’s superintendent, said she wanted to guarantee younger students get
    information on how to use condoms because there is no age limit.“We’re talking about younger kids,” said Singer. “They have questions they
    need answered on how to use them, when to use them.”

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 pm