CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
MandyPerfumeGirl
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
femme fatale
Tony Marino
Supernova
Shale
Chris
12 posters

Should suicide be a criminal offence?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should suicide be a criminal offence? Empty Should suicide be a criminal offence?

Post by Chris Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 am

If a person kills someone else, or attempts, that is illegal. They'll be charged with murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, etc., etc.

That being said, do you think the law ought to make suicide a criminal offense? Obviously you can't penalize someone who completes the act, but let's say someone attempts suicide and fails, should they law step in and penalize them in some way (with fines, community service, or something like *mandatory* counseling and psych evaluations?)
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Should suicide be a criminal offence? Empty Re: Should suicide be a criminal offence?

Post by Shale Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 am

The laws are already mired in religious bias against suicide, hence the big controversy over assisted suicide, which I think should be anyone's choice when faced with certain end-life or debilitation.

There should be no law against attempted suicide unless the attempt endangers others and those endangerments are covered by other laws already. Forcing a failed attempter into psych counseling might be a good idea, but incarceration will not likely do any good for the person.

When I was a cop in New Orleans I once wrestled a guy down who was about to jump in the river. (The Mississippi at New Orleans is a killer with a 30 MPH current and undertows) I arrested him and he was supposed to be held for psych eval, but when I showed up for court, he had already been cut loose. It was an obvious administrative screw up, typical of the poorly run city of New Orleans (The City that Forgot to Care). Coulda been one of those personal dramas for attention and he was not planning on killing himself after all. So, in that case maybe some time in the slammer would be a preventive. But first he should have been seen by a shrink to determine if his "attempt" was sincere.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should suicide be a criminal offence? Empty Re: Should suicide be a criminal offence?

Post by Supernova Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 am

I don't get that, HOW can suicide be illegal? I never got that, it made no sense. SUICIDE, is illegal, so if you succeed they can't do anything with you anyway because you're already dead. And it's certainly NOT like people never commit suicide in prison, think about it, yeah they take your belt and your shoelaces but they leave you a bedsheet.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 am

No there should be no law against someone that tries to commit suicide, what they should do is get them professional help so that they won't do it again, not prosecute them into further desperation or depression.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Chris wrote:If a person kills someone else, or attempts, that is illegal. They'll be charged with murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, etc., etc.

That being said, do you think the law ought to make suicide a criminal offense? Obviously you can't penalize someone who completes the act, but let's say someone attempts suicide and fails, should they law step in and penalize them in some way (with fines, community service, or something like *mandatory* counseling and psych evaluations?)

I don't think a fine or community service will help and in such instances there should be empathy to someone's plight, but mandatory counseling I can see. Maybe assign anyone who makes a documented suicide attempt a case worker, and put a lean on their legal privileges (like driving) per their progress.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 pm

I don't know what they do elsewhere....but in NY....if you tried to jump off of a bridge and they have to talk you down, you make a big spectacle of trying to kill yourself and they have to stop you, you will go to Bellevue. It's not an option. No, I don't think there needs to be a law prosecuting people who attempt suicide. They need help, not punishment.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm

They should get professional help and be required to repair any damage that may have resulted from their failed attempt, but arresting them isn't exactly going to remedy their problems much.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:08 pm

No, those who attempt suicide should not be penalized. It's their body, their life, they can do what they want.

If counseling or therapy was imposed on them, I'm not sure how much impact that would have on their lives - after all, suicide is the final option for most people and chances are they've already thought of that and for some reason or other it doesn't work for them. The other thing with forced counseling and therapy is that a person who needs help cannot be helped unless they want it themselves. That's not to say I'm against the idea totally, I'm just questioning it.

But imposing other things on them like fines or community service? No, that's ridiculous, that's not going to help them any.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 pm

No but I think they should be legally remanded to a psych ward for X amount of time. Most people who try suicide are really just crying out for help anyway, so help them.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:49 am

Tony Marino wrote:No there should be no law against someone that tries to commit suicide, what they should do is get them professional help so that they won't do it again, not prosecute them into further desperation or depression.
    co-signs
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 am

Supernova wrote:I don't get that, HOW can suicide be illegal? I never got that, it made no sense. SUICIDE, is illegal, so if you succeed they can't do anything with you anyway because you're already dead. And it's certainly NOT like people never commit suicide in prison, think about it, yeah they take your belt and your shoelaces but they leave you a bedsheet.

It's illegal because it's still "murder", self-murder. Of course if you succeed, the law can’t prosecute because the victim was also the perpetrator and if you fail, as others have already said, it doesn’t help the problem if you’re charged with attempted murder. Though I supposed that has happened somewhere.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:58 am

I think attempted suicide should come with mandatory time in a sanitarium, and that it should be a permanent splotch on your medical records (assuming that they don't do that already.) And if the attempted was an adult, they should be declared legally incompetent for at least six months to a year. While I wouldn't treat someone who wanted out of life like a criminal, I do think that....from a legal standpoint....empathetic "tough love" should be enacted to get their head back on straight....because chances are, if they tried before, they'll try again. Don't just calm them down, pump their stomach, and then let 'em go on their marry way.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 pm

I agree with everyone who said they need help, not legal trouble. But I must add that if their attempt racks up a lot of money in the police having to get them off a ledge or something like that, they should have to pay some of that money back.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:32 am