CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
Shale
RiteDiva
Kral
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
RobbieFTW
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Forgiveness Man
Chris
14 posters

How would you react to your child being transgender?

stavdash
    stavdash
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 7

How would you react to your child being transgender? - Page 2 Empty Re: How would you react to your child being transgender?

Post by stavdash Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:55 am

I would love my child regardless, but I cannot pretend that this would not be highly unsettling, or that I would at all approve of, or endorse, their unnatural (yes, I said unnatural) desire to be something other than what they are. The Lord does not make mistakes. People were born in their designated gender for a reason.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

How would you react to your child being transgender? - Page 2 Empty Re: How would you react to your child being transgender?

Post by Shale Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:40 am

stavdash wrote:...The Lord does not make mistakes. ...
    That is so medieval.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:59 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:This thread is terrible. Really says a lot.

I just keep thinking about all my friends who are currently in transition and how seriously they take this. And how inconsiderate, hurtful and selfish their parents are.

And to think that some of the people in this thread are similar to the ones who tried to force them into boxes they never wanted to be in. No, it's not "normal" to be born into a body you don't feel is you. But gender is so much more complicated than Barbies and Easy Bake Ovens and Tonkas. That's so not what it's about. It's about what people identify as and who they are.

LOL. Gender is that much more complicated? How do you know you're supposed to be a woman when you've never BEEN a woman? How do you know you're supposed to be a man when you've never BEEN man? No dear. Don't try and make it seem like they were born into the wrong body and they 'know' it's not normal. Societal interpretations of what gender is is exactly what transgender people identify with and try to emulate. It's not something that's innate. You can't feel like the opposite gender when you never been one. And even after all of that, why go through all this unnecessary hormonal transition when you will NEVER, EVER, EVER be an official member of the opposite gender? If you were born male, you will ALWAYS be male. If you were born a female, you will ALWAYS be female. And that is a FACT that cannot be disputed.

How would you react to your child being transgender? - Page 2 43290 Love your children for who they are. And who they will grow up to become. They aren't hurting anybody.

Keyword. They're children. Which means I'm not going to let my son run around the house acting like a girl when he's not a girl and I'm not going to let my daughter run around acting like a boy when she's not a boy.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 pm

To answer the original question, I would just deal with it. You can't change who a person is inside. It's ridiculous to think one could. Of course, I'd take him/her to therapy, but only to make sure what they want is want is what they really want and NOT to try to convince them otherwise.

I am a parent. My son is 26 and married and he's done some things as a teen the put me off, but you deal with it and move on.

A close friend of mine is transgendered. She is who she is and I don't think I would want her to be any other way.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

I just keep thinking about all my friends who are currently in transition and how seriously they take this. And how inconsiderate, hurtful and selfish their parents are.

And to think that some of the people in this thread are similar to the ones who tried to force them into boxes they never wanted to be in. No, it's not "normal" to be born into a body you don't feel is you. But gender is so much more complicated than Barbies and Easy Bake Ovens and Tonkas. That's so not what it's about. It's about what people identify as and who they are.

LOL. Gender is that much more complicated? How do you know you're supposed to be a woman when you've never BEEN a woman? How do you know you're supposed to be a man when you've never BEEN man? No dear. Don't try and make it seem like they were born into the wrong body and they 'know' it's not normal. Societal interpretations of what gender is is exactly what transgender people identify with and try to emulate. It's not something that's innate. You can't feel like the opposite gender when you never been one. And even after all of that, why go through all this unnecessary hormonal transition when you will NEVER, EVER, EVER be an official member of the opposite gender? If you were born male, you will ALWAYS be male. If you were born a female, you will ALWAYS be female. And that is a FACT that cannot be disputed.

How would you react to your child being transgender? - Page 2 43290 Love your children for who they are. And who they will grow up to become. They aren't hurting anybody.

Keyword. They're children. Which means I'm not going to let my son run around the house acting like a girl when he's not a girl and I'm not going to let my daughter run around acting like a boy when she's not a boy.

IMO, I think "not letting" will only exacerbate things.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:40 pm

tmontyb wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:

IMO, I think "not letting" will only exacerbate things.

If it does, then it's something that I obviously couldn't control and it is what it is. And it's something that I will have to and will accept. What I don't like is this baseless assumption that people who don't allow their children to do any and every thing they want on the fact that they're supposed to be 'tolerant' equates them to being a bad, horrible or selfish parent. Everyone is goin to raise their kids with their own views and shape them up to be what they hope is a good person. Because I won't let my son parade around in dresses and have him running around thinking and acting like he's a girl when he's not means I hate him? It means I don't love him? No. It's the fact of the matter. I'm supposed to take it seriously when a 6 year old child comes to me and says to me that they want to be transgender? What would he/she know about being transgender. They are a child. Exactly how many things would you take seriously from a child? Exactly how worldly would you expect a child to be regarding this matter? If I was on here saying that I would disown my kid, kick him out of the house, speak vile things of him/her, abuse him/her because they were gay or transgender, etc....then that would qualify me as being intolerant and being selfish. I wouldn't do such a thing.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 am

Nystyle, honestly... This invalidated your argument to me:

Societal interpretations of what gender is is exactly what transgender people identify with and try to emulate. It's not something that's innate.

Because you're not transgendered. I think that's a pretty ... simplistic and bitter view of it. I don't think you really have a great understanding of sexuality if you can brush it off like it's dust on your shoulder.

Open your mind.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:20 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
    ...If you were born a female, you will ALWAYS be female. And that is a FACT that cannot be disputed.
    I believe that was the accepted view before DNA was mapped.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:58 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:Nystyle, honestly... This invalidated your argument to me:

Societal interpretations of what gender is is exactly what transgender people identify with and try to emulate. It's not something that's innate.

Because you're not transgendered. I think that's a pretty ... simplistic and bitter view of it. I don't think you really have a great understanding of sexuality if you can brush it off like it's dust on your shoulder.

Open your mind.

Okay Frued, so explain how it is. Simple question: if you've never been a man or a woman, explain how you know what being a man or a woman feels like. I'm not going to take anything you say seriously unless you explain your position.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:00 am

Shale wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:
    ...If you were born a female, you will ALWAYS be female. And that is a FACT that cannot be disputed.

So you're telling me that you can literally change you biological DNA? Explain. I'm all ears.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:24 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:Nystyle, honestly... This invalidated your argument to me:

Open your mind.

Okay Frued, so explain how it is. Simple question: if you've never been a man or a woman, explain how you know what being a man or a woman feels like. I'm not going to take anything you say seriously unless you explain your position.

I just don't think that gender and sexuality are that black and white. I mean, everything in this world is so complicated and intricate, and I don't think that you can be make general statements about the way a person feels. There's no real way to capitalize on something like that. Sometimes things can't be put into words because they can't truly be explained or figured due to their complex nature.

But your heated, angry reaction to Shale's and my challenging your position makes me think that you're like a lot of people in America. Transsexuality is something that's rarely discussed, so you fear it a little. Because it doesn't fit into your acceptable, perfect box of the way people should live their lives.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
    Shale wrote:

So you're telling me that you can literally change you biological DNA? Explain. I'm all ears.
    No ur not, I suspect you could care less.

But I was refering to the fact that things are not always what they appear. You do know there is hermaphrotism - part of god's perfect plan I suppose. In the past they took their best guess in assigning a gender. "Is that a penis or a clit?" Flip a coin - make it a ____.

Now they don't cut so readily because some of those girls they assigned started growing beards later and the boys grew breasts. Now they can check the X & Y and get a better idea but it is not always so black and white as that. Gender difference is not always so discernable, which is why I respect the self-identity ppl FEEL they are, even if their outward body is not the same.

(Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 am

Shale wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:

Yeah. With that kind of attitude, you'll never admit any sort of wrong or fault in anything you've said. You're as stubborn as they come. Except that when you state your own opinion, it's with legitimate malice.

I think you just like being a contrarian. And you like the attention.

boring
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:14 am

And to think that some of the people in this thread are similar to the ones who tried to force them into boxes they never wanted to be in.
    No, it's not "normal" to be born into a body you don't feel is you. But gender is so much more complicated than Barbies and Easy Bake Ovens and Tonkas. That's so not what it's about. It's about what people identify as and who they are.

sad Love your children for who they are. And who they will grow up to become. They aren't hurting anybody.

Since several of your friends' own parents are not able understand, it is idealistic to think that random message board posters with zero experience with this, only opinion, to respond how you do.

You are very knowledgeable of and comfortable with the topic, and that is awesome and I am sure that your friends adore your understanding more than even you know. But there are people that don't feel the same either due to religious beliefs, or they doubt the biolgoy of it, or both. And that is their right and not them having doubts because it doesn't fit into their perfect box.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:35 am

If you're a parent, I think one ought to make an effort. Rather than just say "This is wrong" and throw their hands up in the air.

And I do strongly believe that it's because people are ignorant about the topic. People fear/hate the unknown.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:22 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:I just don't think that gender and sexuality are that black and white. I mean, everything in this world is so complicated and intricate, and I don't think that you can be make general statements about the way a person feels. There's no real way to capitalize on something like that. Sometimes things can't be put into words because they can't truly be explained or figured due to their complex nature.

Are you transgendered? Perhaps I would get a better explanation from someone who actually is.

But your heated, angry reaction to Shale's and my challenging your position makes me think that you're like a lot of people in America. Transsexuality is something that's rarely discussed, so you fear it a little. Because it doesn't fit into your acceptable, perfect box of the way people should live their lives.

eye roll. I don't care how anyone lives their lives. I only concern myself with me and mine. And I don't fear anything. My explanation is how I look at it. And unless you can tell me differently....which I suspect you can't because you yourself aren't transgendered.....your 'heated reaction' is merely an opinion just like mine. You just don't agree with it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Shale wrote:

I asked you didn't I? Answer it.

But I was refering to the fact that things are not always what they appear. You do know there is hermaphrotism - part of god's perfect plan I suppose. In the past they took their best guess in assigning a gender. "Is that a penis or a clit?" Flip a coin - make it a ____.

Now they don't cut so readily because some of those girls they assigned started growing beards later and the boys grew breasts. Now they can check the X & Y and get a better idea but it is not always so black and white as that. Gender difference is not always so discernable, which is why I respect the self-identity ppl FEEL they are, even if their outward body is not the same.

Okay. But this explanation I'm taking as a reference to someone being born a hermaphrodite. This has nothing to do with my statement saying that you will always be what you are if you were born a clear cut male or female. And please correct me if I'm wrong....but aren't MOST transgendered people male OR female?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:39 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:Yeah. With that kind of attitude, you'll never admit any sort of wrong or fault in anything you've said. You're as stubborn as they come. Except that when you state your own opinion, it's with legitimate malice.

I can be hard headed, yes, but I won't say I'm stubborn. There is a difference. And for the last time, I do not get mad or have 'malice' towards anyone or anything in here.

I think you just like being a contrarian. And you like the attention.

How would you react to your child being transgender? - Page 2 854221

Yep, that's it. I like pissing you off. I say shit JUST to piss you off. Gives me a rush. eye roll

I'm going to say this you and to everybody else reading this post: if you don't like what Nystyle709 has to say, you don't like how I come across, you don't like the fact that speak my mind without any regards whatsoever to who likes it and who doesn't.....TOUGH. I can't help you. The way I see it, you got two options. Filter me or .....well, that's pretty X-rated. But you know where I'm going with it.
    How would you react to your child being transgender? - Page 2 273237
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:07 am

I don't like most of what you say. I never have. Hence why I've been contesting it.

Duh.
    Rainmaker
    Rainmaker
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Rainmaker Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:32 am

I'd love them regardless but wouldn't be happy.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:If you're a parent, I think one ought to make an effort. Rather than just say "This is wrong" and throw their hands up in the air.

And I do strongly believe that it's because people are ignorant about the topic. People fear/hate the unknown.

I agree that parents need not throw their hands up to this issue if their child comes to them. I know that happens, and that makes me hope it could be better for them. Yet, at the same turn I can relate to the parents. I am in no way negating what the children go through...as I know that would be wrong and unfair. But parents do go through something with all this.

In no manner am I saying that a parent's need to deal is any place near how the child's need is. But parents are needing to deal with the fact that the gender they birthed says, in effect, that the parents got it wrong. Not saying that is how it is presented, but I suspect, that is how it it taken many times, by parents.

So, regarding this board directly, I think FM comes at it from a religious stand point, and NY comes at it from a biological one. I know you don't agree with them, and I am not sure I do either, but both have valid points. I really don't think any previous posts here are stemmed from anything other than beliefs. Maybe this unknown creates some unease, but not hate or fear.

I look at the terms "hate" and "fear" as rather extreme, and I haven't seen anything extreme in these posts, other than yours. And that is not a cut...your extreme view comes from experience, and that is awesome. Just don't expect those who don't have your life experience to have the same viewpoint, even if, in your personal paradigm, it is more normal.

(Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:36 am

I see what you are saying. But my standpoint is made of what I know and what I've seen others close to me go through. My hypothesis is that people are ignorant, and that they fear what it is they are ignorant about.

Regardless, it's damaging to the well-being of anybody who is already so lost in their identity.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:55 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:I see what you are saying. But my standpoint is made of what I know and what I've seen others close to me go through. My hypothesis is that people are ignorant, and that they fear what it is they are ignorant about.

Regardless, it's damaging to the well-being of anybody who is already so lost in their identity.

Thank you for seemingly understanding where I come from on this. I don't really think that it is fear or ignorance that lead anyone here to say what they did on the topic. "Ignorance" has a negative connotation, though I do appreciate that your use most likely pertains to a lack of knowledge on the specific subject at hand.

And if your use of "ignorance" is pertaining to those with a lack of knowledge on this subject, then that is me. I would like nothing more than to raise my hand in saying I would be the textbook perfect Mom to a child who came to me with his transgendered issues. But that would be a lie to you because I have a pre-teen son who is seemingly heterosexual. So, truly, I don't need to think about it in my own back yard. And because it is such a polarizing issue, I can and will view it in terms of my own back yard.

Yet I don't disrespect as I do recognize that transgendered people are not wrong, or invalid, or unimportant. The largest deficit here is that they are so unnumbered that lay persons, in general, will not be convinced of the real issues with this topic.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:26 am

RedBedroom wrote:
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:I see what you are saying. But my standpoint is made of what I know and what I've seen others close to me go through. My hypothesis is that people are ignorant, and that they fear what it is they are ignorant about.

Thank you for seemingly understanding where I come from on this. I don't really think that it is fear or ignorance that lead anyone here to say what they did on the topic. "Ignorance" has a negative connotation, though I do appreciate that your use most likely pertains to a lack of knowledge on the specific subject at hand.

And if your use of "ignorance" is pertaining to those with a lack of knowledge on this subject, then that is me. I would like nothing more than to raise my hand in saying I would be the textbook perfect Mom to a child who came to me with his transgendered issues. But that would be a lie to you because I have a pre-teen son who is seemingly heterosexual. So, truly, I don't need to think about it in my own back yard. And because it is such a polarizing issue, I can and will view it in terms of my own back yard.

Yet I don't disrespect as I do recognize that transgendered people are not wrong, or invalid, or unimportant. The largest deficit here is that they are so unnumbered that lay persons, in general, will not be convinced of the real issues with this topic.

It is so nice to have a reasoned discourse.

Yeah, all thru life you think the neighborhood across town is strange & scary until you move there for some reason and see that it is very much like the one you were used to. I have personally met transgendered ppl, talked to them and seen them as normal ppl just trying to fit in.

I even met a pre-op tranny on the nude beach (easy to spot - had breasts and a penis). She was quite open with me, explained why she had not had the surgery, talked of the surprisingly bigoted ppl she had met on a nude beach and that they were Canadians, which upset her more. (Comforted me to know that Canada has bigots just like us - hate being the pariah nation). And you may notice I refer to this person as "she" even tho she had a scrotum & penis. That is how she identified and that should be respected. In fact had she been wearing clothes, very few ppl would have challenged that she was anything but a woman.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:I don't like most of what you say. I never have. Hence why I've been contesting it.

Duh.

Well, that's just too bad. I already told you what you can do. big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:35 am